UPDATE: leather project

It too ye forever to lace the edges… my old fingers cramp up. Those Tandy checkbook covers (used 1-1/2 precut kits from my stash of old supplies) come with cheap double-sided brown lace that feels too much like plastic, so I used some black one-sided Tejas lace… looks better, feels better.

The kits also come with precut pigskin lining. I used the precut pocket pieces, and cut another one down ye a half-inch to make an extra pocket for the back inside, on which I also cut a slit with dot punched ends for an ID or credit card. As you can see, I omitted the piece that is supposed to be adhered to the back side of the veg-tanned cowhide because (1) I don’t need it to be fully lined and (2) I’ve fully lined checkbook covers before and that thin lining adds a bit of bulk, also keeps the back from wear softness, and (3) I don’t really like it… this is a book cover for me, not a checkbook cover for someone else.

I like the pockets added to the front… they’re not even as one is sized for an ID or credit card. The tabs are for closure. I still need to get a couple shank buttons and two black elastic large-size pony tail holders… attached to the button shank, the elastic will slide through the holes, wrap all around and back over the button. If I can’t find pony tail holders large enough, then I’ll shop for black elastic cord to do the same thing… or, I could use some leather lace looped through the tab holes as a means to secure it. I still need to cut pages and make a blank book to fit inside.

Oh well… that’s where I’m at on this project. Thanks for reading!

 

Advertisements

Lamp Post

Conversation with the vet:

Babe, what do you call this?
Uh… a lamppost.
I know it’s a lamppost, but what do you call it now?
It’s still a lamppost.
But, what is it? It’s got to be called something else.

So, what do you call a lamppost that looks a little different than other lampposts?

Drum rolls or eye rolls, we agreed on “artsy” as the adjective.
It’s just a lamppost, but… he can call it an artsy lamppost if he so pleases.
Give me time, sweet man. That rusty ol’ pole won’t be the first clue of an artist in residence.

I did give it a fresh coat of paint and pounded a wooden spoon paddle into the ground beside the base to help wedge it up a bit straighter. It’s the stained glass inserts that make him think it needs a new name. They were fun to make but took awhile as I had sold my glass grinder and my hands kept cramping up with bones locked in a shadow play duck position.

Photos snapped along the way:

Had to revamp this plan… clear glass was too thick for my came.

New plan… going with the blues. This is a “use whatcha got” project.

Forget the Dremel… this glass file works GREAT!

Hand cramps: with a flashlight and sheet, we could call that a duck.

Putting it together… yeah, it’s been awhile.
And I couldn’t find my plastic dodahs for the horseshoe nails.

All done… surprised it glows oranges.

Thanks for reading!

Before…

I study photographs, wishing I had snapped more. 

This is an inside snap of what looks to be a carport converted into a covered patio along the right side of the garage behind that house I’m in the process of buying, a.k.a. the “before”photo of what will become a screened-in porch next year. The realtor’s website had other views, but those images are copyrighted, not mine to share.

I met with a housing counselor yesterday and applied for a grant to help with closing costs. Just talking to her eased my mind… it is good to go over budgeting and personal finances with someone who knows what they’re doing instead of just trying to wing it on your own. We also covered a lot of information in their pre-purchase educational class and she sent me home with a binder stuffed full of papers and pamphlets to review. I learned a lot so I’m glad I went.

Barring any obstacles (still must pass inspections), the house will close in August and I can move in before Labor Day. 

Thanks for reading!